Facilities and Maintenance Position opening at The Wildcat Sanctuary
Full-time Facilities and Maintenance position is now available at The Wildcat Sanctuary. This position involves providing maintenance and upkeep of buildings, habitats, grounds, and equipment in accordance with OSHA and TWS standards. This position also includes new habitat/fence construction, light welding, carpentry and other habitat enhancements. Rural, 40-acre property includes 10 buildings with electricity, propane heat, and security cameras, outbuildings and several animal habitats.
Responsibilities include: carpentry, mowing/shoveling, vehicle maintenance, managing contractors, light construction, fence work, and building maintenance. Qualifications include: four years experience in construction, maintenance or similar field, valid driver’s license, ability to operate vehicles such as trucks, vans, utility vehicles, snow blowers, and lawnmowers, commitment to our mission and all safety rules. Mostly weekdays with weekend flexibility for weather and business needs. Background check required.
The Wildcat Sanctuary is a non-profit rescue for big cats. Applicants must be self-starters and be able to work in a fast paced environment while maintaining all safety standards.
$16+ per hour depending on qualification + benefits
How to apply:
Please be sure your application demonstrates your experience and relevant skills. U.S. applicants only please.
The Facilities and Maintenance employee is responsible for the day to day management and upkeep of TWS’ buildings, habitats, grounds, and equipment in accordance with OSHA and TWS standards.
He/she also facilitates new construction including gathering estimates through completion of the project. He/she schedules projects with the Sanctuary Manager and Executive Director, is responsible for equipment, tools, supplies and vehicle maintenance, and is in charge of teaching staff, interns, and volunteers the proper usage and care for TWS equipment and the site. He/she must be able to work safely and efficiently while meeting tight and varying deadlines.
- Ensure TWS facilities, vehicles, equipment meets all OSHA requirements including inspections, maintenance and training.
- Ensures vehicles and equipment are in good repair, safe and inspected on a regular basis.
- Responsible for all aspects of construction and maintenance; including managing contractors, doing the work independently and/or supervising volunteers and intern groups.
- With assistance from the Sanctuary Manager, develops construction projects for interns and volunteers and is ultimately responsible for inspection and completion of these projects.
- Responsible for maintaining inventory of materials and supplies for on-going facilities maintenance and construction projects.
- Teaches staff, interns, and volunteers how to care for and use TWS equipment.
- Responsible for the maintenance of the well, septic system, electrical system, and any other systems that support the buildings and animal compound.
- Responsible for the maintenance of the refrigerators and freezers.
- Responsible for the maintenance of the perimeter fence and all animal enclosures.
- Responsible for regular safety inspections of the perimeter fence and all animal enclosures.
- Responsible for plowing and shoveling roads, sidewalks and steps.
- Develops relationships with stores, vendors, and suppliers in an effort to obtain cost-effective procurement.
- Responsible for coordinating the preparation of the compound and equipment for winter months and for weather events.
- Responsible for ensuring the grounds are mowed and maintained, with particular attention for on-site events.
- Oversees and monitors on-site contractors and service providers ensuring the safety of all animals and individuals on the property. Scheduling of contractors managed in conjunction with the Animal Care schedule when access to enclosures is needed.
- Responsible for bidding and negotiating construction, service and other large scale projects.
- Responds to staff, intern, or volunteer requests for needed repairs. Arranges and supervises outside assistance when necessary.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Ability to make a commitment to the animals AND the organization’s mission/vision
- He/she must be able to work safely and efficiently while meeting tight and varying deadlines.
- Positive Attitude
- Essential team player, respect peers, supportive of other staff
- Comply with all “no contact” and safety protocol
- Very strong work ethic
- Demonstrate experience in managing a team and construction projects, as well as successfully completing projects alone.
- Familiarity with OSHA compliance regulations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, co-workers, interns, volunteers and donors.
- Ability to be onsite for emergency repairs, snow plowing, tree removal, natural disaster response, etc. in a timely manner in order for the Sanctuary to maintain general operations.
- Knowledge of construction, maintenance procedures and ability to make simple repairs (small engine, electric, plumbing, welding, etc.) Welding skills a plus.
- Familiarity with key message and communication; demonstrate capacity to communicate with supporters.
- Minimum (4) four years experience in work relevant to construction, maintenance or similar field.
- Ability to lift up to 60 pounds and bend, stoop, crawl and walk on uneven surfaces.
- Ability to work in extreme weather conditions from 100 degree days to freezing temperatures.
- Possession of a valid driver license.
- Able to understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to operate vehicles such as trucks, vans, and utility vehicles, and motorized vehicles such as snow blowers and lawnmowers.
- Ability to utilize hand and power tools.
- Must be able to work around cats and other animals
A high school diploma is required. A technical degree or equivalent work experience is preferred. This individual must possess a valid driver’s license, advanced construction and maintenance skills, positive people skills, and management skills. This person must be comfortable interacting with a variety of people, be computer literate, able to work weekends and on-call during inclement weather, be multi-task oriented, possess great communication skills, and be able to work under stress with a variety of influences.
It is expected that employees of TWS support the mission and values of the Sanctuary as outlined in the employee handbook. The employer reserves the right to modify, change or add to the duties of this job description at any time. The employee understands and acknowledges that this position is terminable at will at any time by TWS.
Please share this story: