The Wildcat Sanctuary (TWS) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, no-kill rescue facility located in Sandstone, MN. TWS provides a natural sanctuary to wild cats in need and inspires change to end the captive wildlife crisis. TWS is funded solely on private donations. The Sanctuary is a rescue organization and not open to the public. Combining natural and spacious habitats with a life free of exhibition, TWS allows all residents to live wild at heart. TWS is committed to public education about the captive wildlife crisis in order to create a world where animal sanctuaries are no longer needed. As a true sanctuary, we do not buy, breed, sell or exhibit animals. The Wildcat Sanctuary is accredited by the American Sanctuary Association and the Global Federation of Animal Sanctuaries and recognized by Tigers in America.
Board of Directors
The Board of Directors supports the work of The Wildcat Sanctuary and provides mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by the Executive Director, the Board relationship is a partnership; the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected.
Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
Leadership, governance and oversight
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the Executive Director (ED) while collectively developing and implementing TWS’s strategic plan.
- Being informed of, and meeting all legal and fiduciary responsibilities.
- Reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings.
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by the ED for assessing impact, and regularly measuring performance and effectiveness using those metrics.
- Approving TWS’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions.
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the ED.
- Assisting the ED and Board Chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members.
- Partnering with the ED and other Board Members to ensure that appropriate board resolutions are approved and carried out.
- Serving on committees or task forces, and taking on special assignments.
- Representing TWS to stakeholders, and acting as an ambassador for the organization.
- Ensuring TWS commitment to a diverse and capable board and staff that reflects the mission and values of TWS.
TWS Board Members will consider The Wildcat Sanctuary a philanthropic priority and make annual gifts that reflect that priority. In order to ensure that TWS can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, it is expected that 100% of the Board Members make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity. There is currently no minimum donation requirement.
TWS Board Members serve a three-year term that is eligible for re-appointment. Board meetings are held monthly. Consistent attendance by Board Members is expected.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about respect for wild animals and the TWS mission. Selected Board Members will have achieved leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, and/or the nonprofit sector. These accomplishments will allow the Board Member to attract other well-qualified, high-performing Board Members.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Professional experience with leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, and/or the nonprofit sector.
- Specific skills (HR, IT, finance, fundraising, event planning, etc.) that will serve as added value to carrying out the mission of TWS.
- A commitment to and understanding of TWS’s mission and vision.
- Diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of TWS’s animal residents.
Service on TWS’s Board of Directors is volunteer service, without financial remuneration.
If you are interested in applying for a board position, please email your cover letter, resume and contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org.