Media Interns play an important role in creating a window into sanctuary life for our donors and supporters while allowing our wild cat residents to live Wild At Heart. Media Interns work closely with the entire Development Team to help support fundraising efforts to achieve our goals and further our mission.
This is an unpaid internship that provides free furnished housing and $70/week food stipend. This opportunity is six months long and is ideal for college students or recent graduates who are interested in learning about social media management, fundraising, and the captive wildlife crisis.
- General (for all Media Interns)
- Strict adherence to all safety rules and protocols
- Ability to take direction well, work independently and be a self-starter
- Understanding of how to work within established brand guidelines
- Familiar with Adobe Creative Suite, Photoshop/Lightroom, DropBox, Google docs, Outlook, etc.
- Physically capable of navigating 40 acres of land on rough terrain, in all four seasons
- Social Media Support (for all Media Interns)
- Ability to learn how to generate, edit, publish and share daily content (original copy, images, video, live posts) that builds meaningful connections to our mission
- Ability to adapt to the “TWS voice” and seek out information that allows you to respond to donor inquiries appropriately
- Graphic Design or Photography emphasis
- Graphic Design
- A portfolio that demonstrates creativity and adherence to brand guidelines
- Come prepared with any necessary personal equipment
- Photography/Videography Intern only
- A portfolio that demonstrates thoughtful composition and skilled editing. Documentary style story telling Nature photography preferred, but not required.
- Come prepared with at least one personal camera and related equipment.
- Social Media Support (60-70%)
- Primary Daily Responsibility: Support daily management, posting, monitoring, and driving growth of TWS social media channels including Facebook (primary), Instagram, and YouTube (3 million followers)
- Learn and practice the best ways to remain informed of changes in FB algorithm by understating and monitoring “Insights” and following industry experts
- Assist with social media coverage on evenings and weekends
- Participate in all Intern Education classes in an effort to become fully informed about our mission, cats, and the TWS educational pillars.
- Graphic Design or Photography emphasis (no more than 30%)
- Graphic Design
- Reports to the Executive Director/Marketing Team for Graphic Design projects
- Learn TWS Brand Guidelines to be able to create images/graphics for online store, campaign logos, education materials, invitations, and other marketing materials
- Create logos, banners, brochures and special event programs
- Create artwork for TWS auctions
- Reports to the Communication Specialist
- Generate photo and video content to support all fundraising efforts while learning how composition plays an important role in showcasing the Wild At Heart life
- Document special events like rescues, vet days, volunteer crew days, etc.
- Learn TWS Brand Guidelines to be able to edit and watermark digital photos for both print and web
- File and organize all photos/videos within current document retention system
- Graphic Design
This internship offers Free Housing plus a $70 a week stipend. Media Interns are required to live in TWS housing for the duration of their internship. A car is strongly recommended, but not required.
TWS provides two iPhones, drone, Nikon camera, Production camera, and PC laptop with Adobe Creative Suite software. Must be at least 18 years of age. Must be fluent in the English language (verbal and written communication). Must provide your own health insurance.
How to Apply
To apply, you must submit a cover letter, a resume and a link to your portfolio. Please email all 3 items to [email protected] Be sure that your cover letter explains how this unpaid internship will support you in your career path and why you are the best candidate for the position.
NOTE: Position open to US citizens only
Media Intern Sessions are as follows:
- Spring 2021 Session: March 2021 – August 2021. FULL!
- Fall 2021 Session: September 2021 – February 2022. Applications due no later than 7/30/2021
- Spring 2022 Session: March 2022 – August 2022. Applications due no later than 1/31/2022
It is expected that TWS Interns support the mission and values of the Sanctuary. The employer reserves the right to modify, change or add to the duties of this job description at any time. The intern understands and acknowledges that this position is terminable at will at any time by TWS. All donor’s names and contact information remain the property of The Wildcat Sanctuary and cannot be taken or used. All graphics, photos, videos and proprietary information remains the property of The Wildcat Sanctuary and cannot be used for other purposes.