Join our team! Communications & Media Production Specialist
Have you always loved animals? Would you like a career you’re passionate about, knowing you’re making a difference? Then join our team at The Wildcat Sanctuary!
We’re a nationally-recognized sanctuary for rescued lions, tigers, cougars and more. Located in the small town of Sandstone, Minnesota, we’re surrounded by the north woods, beautiful state parks and just an hour an half away from the Twin Cities or Duluth. We’re a growing, mid-size nonprofit with supporters in 46 countries and all 50 states.
Communications and Media Production Specialist
Salary: $35,000-45,000 depending on experience, plus benefits
This is a full-time, onsite position in Sandstone, Mn. Working from home, or flex hours are not permitted for this position.
As a creative and collaborative professional with a passion for storytelling and compassion for captive wild animals, this full-time, on-site position is responsible for producing and managing multimedia content to support our marketing and fundraising efforts. Your role is to bring the sanctuary to our supporters by developing a meaningful connection between them, our cats and mission.
- Photography & Video
- Serve as the sanctuary’s primary photographer and videographer.
- Produce and edit compelling and meaningful content through photography, video and live videos.
- Create real-time content for all marketing/fundraising outlets and must be comfortable on camera.
- Maintain all of TWS’ equipment and digital assets.
- Social Media/Web
- Daily creation, management and/or oversight of posts, live posts, comments, and messages in a manner that supports our education and fundraising programs, encourages increased participation, and is aligned with current trends and algorithm changes.
- Ensure social media channels are champions of the TWS brand and provide high-quality, easy donation donor experiences. Cultivate social media donors and TWS’ 2.9 million followers. Use donation reports to identify and thank top donors.
- Manage Social Media advertising budget and recommend new opportunities to monetize current social media channels.
- Manage outside vendors for SEO, Adwords, web design and other online/web needs.
- Communication & Writing
- Ensure communication is consistent with brand standards and organizational messaging. Listen, gain in-depth knowledge of the organization, sanctuary industry, and be a responsible steward of the information.
- Use ethical creative writing to inform, educate, and motivate the public and supporters through enewsletters, magazine articles, blog posts, press releases and social media.
- Graphic Design
- Create graphic treatments for marketing channels using Adobe Creative Suite including photo cropping, watermark overlay, text treatments and simple program logos while adhering to TWS brand guidelines.
- In partnership with the ED, recruit, interview, and fill Communication Intern positions
- On-board, train and mentor new Communications Interns in partnership with TWS leadership colleagues.
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Experience
- 2+ years of professional experience in mass communications setting or related experience. Comfortable and engaging on camera. Exceptional photography and videography production skills. Broadcast experience is a plus. Mastery of photo and video editing software.
- Must have the ability to work as a leader and partner collaboratively with external and internal parties.
- Persuasive and positive communicator with strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Proficient in MS Office products, Adobe Creative Suite, Video Editing Software, WordPress, Constant Contact, Google tools, Drop Box, email, etc., as well as office equipment like copy machines and scanners.
- Portfolio of previous video, photo and writing work.
Additional Expectations and Culture Fit
- Adhere to Sanctuary policies, procedures, and protocols.
- Foster and open an inclusive work environment by modeling TWS behaviors and values, consistent with the vision, mission and strategic anchors of the organization.
- Willingness to do what is needed is the moment to benefit the animals and organization. (Regardless if falls under job description.)
- Must be results oriented, self-reflective and take responsibility for actions.
- Friendly and outgoing personality with a willingness to guide, teach and learn from others including interns and volunteers.
- Understanding that this is a non-traditional, full-time position that requires a flexible, non-traditional schedule and commitment.
- Ability and desire to work in a fast-paced, ever changing environment and embrace flexibility.
- Must be able to handle the physical and emotional aspect of work in a sanctuary and have high level of resiliency.
- Critical thinker who can offer recommendations and creative solutions.
- Attention to detail as it pertains to animal wellness and safety.
- Reliable transportation to our rural location in all four seasons is required.
- Willingness to accommodate TWS dogs and domestic cats in the work place.
How to Apply
Email portfolio, cover letter, resume and two references to Tammy Thies at email@example.com
It is expected that employees of TWS support the mission and values of the Sanctuary. The employer reserves the right to modify, change or add to the duties of this job description at any time. The employee understands and acknowledges that this position is terminable at will at any time by TWS. All donor names and contact information remain the property of The Wildcat Sanctuary and cannot be taken or used. All graphics and proprietary information remain the property of The Wildcat Sanctuary and cannot be used for other purposes.