Volunteering at The Wildcat Sanctuary in 2020
Thank you for your interest in volunteering your time to help the wild cat residents of The Wildcat Sanctuary! Our volunteer opportunities are as unique as the work we do. Depending on your skills and interest, there are several ways you can contribute your time. Read our volunteer team descriptions below and feel free to contact us with any questions. All interested volunteers must be at least 18 years old and are subject to approval.
2020 Crew Day Teams
Help us build habitats for rescued captive wild cats! Crew Days are one-time, on-site volunteer opportunities for groups of 6 – 8 friends, family, or co-workers.
On-site construction is hard work that’s not for the faint of heart. Volunteers must be physically able to work outside in all weather conditions, climb ladders up to 12 feet high, and lift up to 50 pounds repeatedly throughout the day. This should not be considered light-duty work. By the end of the day, you’ll be tired, sweaty, and dirty. It’s a grrrrreat work out!
All participants must be 18 years or older, attend Safety Training at 9:30 am, and sign a liability release. Scheduling is available on Saturdays from May thru October on a first come, first serve basis. Please email our Outreach Coordinator at [email protected] to request an application and discuss scheduling.
2020 Garden Team
We have large, beautiful gardens at our Sanctuary, and they’re kept looking lovely all summer long thanks to our hard-working Garden Volunteers!
Garden Volunteers help weed and maintain five gardens at our Sanctuary in Sandstone, MN. Your primary goal is to pull weeds, not necessarily to plant new plants. Volunteers must be able to lift up to 20 pounds, bend over repeatedly, and work outside with minimal shade for the majority of the day.
Available positions for the 2020 Garden Team are limited to 2-3 volunteers each Saturday. Your commitment requires a regular schedule with a minimum of one shift every month from May through October (6 shifts total).
2020 Garden Team Orientation & Safety Training (required) is on Saturday, April 11th
If you’re interested in joining our 2020 Volunteer Garden Team, please complete an application found here: https://forms.gle/dkEwopyaMKvju46h7
2020 Events Team
Do you excel at customer service? Do you have experience working a Registration table or selling merchandise? Do you like talking about CATS?? Consider joining the Volunteer Event Team!
Events “season” is generally February through October each year. TWS hosts several outreach booths as well as two major events during the year, some of which are on‑site in Sandstone, MN and some are in Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN.
Important 2020 Event Team dates include:
- 2020 Event Team Orientation is Saturday, May 16
- 2020 event dates include Saturday, June 27th (in Sandstone) and Sunday, October 11th (in Minneapolis)
- Once-a-month Team Update meetings are held June through October on a weekday evening in the Twin Cities
Interested volunteers must commit to one full event season (February through October). Previous nonprofit event experience is preferred, but not required. To apply for an interview, click here: https://forms.gle/Yk4FukHkBZcEo6957
2020 Independent Outreach Opportunities
Do you have an opportunity to educate others about TWS and our mission? Tell us more!
“Friend-raising” is just as important as (and usually leads to) fundraising. If you know of an opportunity where you can share information about our mission and are willing to manage the logistics, please let us know by completing an application: https://forms.gle/wksmG8eMtehR5s8m6
If your application is approved, TWS will provide an “Outreach Kit” appropriate for the event (merchandise sales not included). TWS does not provide funding for booth fees, but we are happy to provide an In-Kind donation receipt to anyone willing to pay related fees on behalf of TWS. (Thank you in advance!)
These outreach opportunities are to be fully managed by a single point person. Responsibilities include: all communication with TWS staff, pick up/drop off of supplies (Sandstone or Minneapolis, MN locations available), proper documentation (receipts) for any donations accepted, and any other event specific duties.
To be considered for approval, please complete the application at least one month before the event date.
Thank you for helping to share our mission to “Provide a natural sanctuary to wild cats in need and inspire change to end the captive wildlife crisis.”
2020 Specialty Volunteer Opportunities
Skilled volunteers are needed for on-going and project-based needs. Check back here often! We update this page with new opportunities as our business needs demand.
If you have a special skill that would help our operations, please feel free to send an email and your resume to [email protected]
For those who are interested in making an investment of their time and talent, please consider the following volunteer opportunities:
- Marketing Enrichment Creator/Artist: Help make tiger toys! This volunteer position is responsible for creating “marketing” enrichment for the cats. Marketing enrichment includes fun, bright-colored decorated boxes, signs, or other cardboard sculpture. The volunteer is responsible for gathering TWS approved supplies, creating and delivering the enrichment item according to a predetermined schedule. Marketing enrichment items will celebrate holidays, promote fundraiser, and enrich the lives of the wild cat residents of TWS!
- Graphic Design: Self-motivated, dead-line sensitive volunteer graphic designer wanted! Under the direction of the Executive Director and the Marketing team, you will help design graphics that are brand-aligned and delivered in layered files. This is a Volunteer-from-Home opportunity for the right person. Email your interest and a link to your work to [email protected] for consideration.
- Carpentry: Seeking skilled carpenters to build large-scale perch systems and catwalks for our wildcat residents. The ability to follow building plans, use power tools, and follow all safety protocol is imperative.
Board of Directors
The Board of Directors supports the work of The Wildcat Sanctuary and provides mission-based leadership and strategic governance. We aim to expand our Board in 2019 and are looking for business professionals and expertise to help guide and grow our organization. Being a board member is a rewarding commitment that benefits captive wild cats in Minnesota and beyond. You can learn more here: https://www.wildcatsanctuary.org/board-member-position-description/